Friday, May 15, 2009

LEARNING

Life is full of lessons learned - sometimes easy/sometimes hard, sometimes fun/sometimes not so fun; yet all these lessons are ALWAYS beneficial to moving forward in life.

Yesterday Madison and I experienced a lesson that scared the CRAP out of me, for a lack of better words! She learned how to lock doors! Yep! We were over babysitting her cousins and all the sudden I hear her screaming - you know, that I'm uh oh I did something I'm not supposed to scream. Of course at first I panicked (I know I shouldn't but reality before mommy instinct). I called my bro to ask where the key was as they always had them hung by the appropriate door at the Norco house. No keys. CRAP!!! He explained to me where his tools where and so I got like 3 screwdrivers, pliers, and everything else I could think of to get her out. Luckily he was on his way home. In the meantime, all the kids are crying cause their worried and all I wanted to do was cry but I couldn't. Someone had to keep it all together.
Silly me, I thought I could just take the door knob off and it would release the lock - nope! I then call my dad, Papa. He calmly explains to me how to release the latch. Okay, so this lock is TOP quality cause it would not release. Keep in mind its been about 15 minutes by now (finding the tools, getting around the cone head dog cause he had "surgery", figuring out which screwdriver, etc....). I finally get honest and tell my dad I'm scared. Somehow he always knows the right thing to tell me to refocus me and get the job done. Since the lock wouldn't push through the other side, I just use the bottlenose pliers, put them through the half moon beside the plastic piece, pulled toward me and turned. Luckily, that released the lock.

20 minutes of my life that I NEVER want to repeat again. The last time I was that scared was when all the alarms where going off when I had Madison - when we coded and 30 people rushed into the Labor room prior to the unscheduled c-section.

So, I am VERY THANKFUL to my dad for being just a phone call away, explaining to me how to get her out, and helping me stay focused on her and not my feelings. THANK YOU so much dad. I love you so much! You're an awesome dad!

p.s. Scott and Erica, sorry for taking your door apart. Thanks for changing the lock to the outside now :) First lesson of many at the new house :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment